FakeAlert-B virus
MH
2006-04-07 00:15:49 UTC
Does any one know what is wrong?

I am running McAfee anti virus 10.0. I get the pop up window telling me that
the FakeAlert-B Trojan has infected a file (usually in the
c:\windows\system32\1024 directory. Most of the time I am given a choice to
either get more information or continue what I was doing, The continue what
I was doing is what I chose most often. But the window tells me that the
file has been cleaned and the virus deleted. This happens in rapid
succession of three usually. Sometimes to make thing interested McAfee gives
me the choice to delete the virus, which I do. McAfee also recommends that I
scan my system. I have scanned the system at least 4 times and McAfee finds
nothing. I went to their web site to down load a virus removal tool for this
virus. When I attempt to install the program, it tells me that no product
(McAfee) is installed on my system.

My system seems to run fine with out any noticeable problems, why is this
happening?
David H. Lipman
2006-04-07 01:09:27 UTC
From: "MH" <***@optonline.net>

| Does any one know what is wrong?
|
| I am running McAfee anti virus 10.0. I get the pop up window telling me that
| the FakeAlert-B Trojan has infected a file (usually in the
| c:\windows\system32\1024 directory. Most of the time I am given a choice to
| either get more information or continue what I was doing, The continue what
| I was doing is what I chose most often. But the window tells me that the
| file has been cleaned and the virus deleted. This happens in rapid
| succession of three usually. Sometimes to make thing interested McAfee gives
| me the choice to delete the virus, which I do. McAfee also recommends that I
| scan my system. I have scanned the system at least 4 times and McAfee finds
| nothing. I went to their web site to down load a virus removal tool for this
| virus. When I attempt to install the program, it tells me that no product
| (McAfee) is installed on my system.
|
| My system seems to run fine with out any noticeable problems, why is this
| happening?

Use the following Multi AV Scanning Tool to scan and clean your computer.

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

Additional Instructions:
http://harrisonrj.home.comcast.net/step_by_step_pc_cleaning_process.htm#Step_3_%96_Getting_Help

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Elendil
2006-04-07 01:23:01 UTC
Go to the Detailed Malware Removal page of my website: www.stopmalware.tk and
follow all of the steps EXCEPT the ones involving downloading and running
another anit-virus program. When David arrives with his Mulit_AV tool link
use that in safe mode after you follow the Detailed Malware removal steps on
my website. You probably have sometime of spyware or non-viral malware that
is messing with your system. Once that spyware or non-viral malware is gone,
your computer should be able to detect any viruses with McAfee or one of
David's other choices on his Multi_AV tool.